Sunday 25 December 2016

JLP: The Second Coming (4)

"Howard Stark. Explain yourself this instant." said Peggy Carter, the epitome of tranquil rage. She didn't raise her voice for fear of disturbing the baby, but the smell edge of her tone was all too apparent.

"Look, Peggy, it was a long time ago... About a decade back I was involved with a  Government initiative, to create new forms of weaponry and warfare. Now, I had the notion to focus research on non-lethal devices. Incapacitation, not extermination." Howard said, defensively.

"Well, that has obviously worked out splendidly, hasn't it." Peggy hissed. Howard continued as if he hadn't heard her.

"I assembled a team of twelve budding minds, the cream of the University crop to research such weaponry. Electrical charges, stun guns, sonic dispersal devices, we had the whole shebang. But there was one guy in particular who stood out among the others. A biochemist with radical ideas. He single handed designed and prototyped a sort of ice grenade."

"An ice grenade?" queried Peggy.

"Something you could toss it, detonate, and have everything in the blast radius harmlessly encased in ice until such time as they could be dealt with."

Peggy narrowed her eyes. "Evidently it didn't work as intended."

"Exactly. Finding a way to generate a rapidly expanding chemical reaction that drew in heat from its surroundings was the easy part. But the effects were too dramatic. The sudden freezing action destroyed organic material. The targets of the grenade couldn't be frozen without lasting injury or death."

"The antithesis of a nonlethal weapon then. What happened to the research? Could someone have accessed the files on the weapon? Steal from one of your storehouses? Again."

Howard took a step towards Peggy, arms raised and spread wide in a gesture of protest. "No. Absolutely not. I had every copy of the research and all prototypes destroyed at the end of the project. I was thorough."

"If I am to take you at your word, then only one suspect can exist. Who was this brilliant student, and what became of him." Asked Peggy.

"A Christian Crowley, I think. Bit of a Bible basher, but undoubtedly an expert of science nonetheless."

"So, Christian by name, Christian by nature." Interjected Jarvis, searching for some levity to ease the tension in the air.

Howard continued. "We had a few disagreements over the direction of the project, and the feasibility of his invention, but nothing severe. Eventually we parted amicably when he resigned. Said he had to follow another vocation. Think he wanted to join the Priesthood."

"Christmastime, and a ghost from your past has returned with a vengeance. If I were you I'd see about buying a Turkey for Tiny Tim.

"Oh, very droll, Miss Carter."

Peggy gathered up her purse, and retrieved her stylish scarlet fedora from a nearby hatstand, preparing to leave. "Howard, I don't have time to charter a flight. Could I trouble you for a trip in your private jet? I'm needed in London post haste, and this mess is somewhat your fault."

Anna stood to her feet, baby in her arms. "I think Jarvis should be the one to accompany you."

"But, my dear... I can't go galavanting off and leave you alone with Margaret." Jarvis stammered.

"Nonsense. You miss your little adventures with Peggy, I'm your wife. I can tell. I've heard you rocking our child to sleep with tales of your heroism. Go on, have a few days to stitch your legs. Besides, I've got Howard to help out with baby duties." Anna flashed a vicious smile briefly at her host.

"I think it's a spiffing idea." concurred Peggy. "You could do with a little practice in the homely arts Howard."

"Hold on now, hang on. I need to go with Peggy. In case Crowley has other dangerous technology..." Howard said desperately.

"Nonsense, I'm sure Jarvis and I will manage. Besides, there are a few old friends I can call on."

"Very well Anna. Miss Carter. I shall endeavor to have this mission successfully completed before Christmas Day. Shall we?"

"With pleasure. Enjoy the holidays Howard!"

No comments:

Post a Comment