Saturday 4 November 2017

J&L: Emissary of the Eldritch (3)

HGJ: "Come along Howard, there's a good chap. This way.... Ah, Inspector Quick! I was hoping to catch you before you clocked off for the day."

IQ: "Hello there, Mister Jago. Well, crime never sleeps in this city, so that means the law can't get much kip either. Who's your little friend? Some young protege, or a visiting nephew?"

HGJ: "Unfortunately nothing so commonplace."

IQ: "It's never simple with you or the Professor, is it?"

HGJ: "This here is master Howard Philips, though he prefers to go by the name 'Howie', you know how the Americans love a shortened sobriquet."

IQ: "Hello Howie, nice to meet you. I'm Percy, Percy Quick. Why don't you stay here with Constable Jenkins while I have a private word with Jago in my office?"

HGJ: "It's quite alright, Howie. I'll only be gone a few moments, and I'm sure the constable here has some pen and  paper you can draw with while I'm gone."

A brief pause as Jago and Quick walk towards the office, and a door creaks open.

IQ: "So, Jago... how exactly did an American child end up in your company?"

HGJ: "I found him, wandering the streets! Lost and alone in the expanses of the capital city of the Empire. I thought you could help reunite him with his parents."

IQ: "Hmm. Did he share any details on where or when he last saw his parents?"

HGJ: "He said it was mostly a blur, but he remembers being with his mother and grandfather, heading towards a train station. Apparently they were heading north to see 'The Scottish Monster'."

IQ: "A monster, you say?!"

HGJ: "Don't get too excited, Quick. It's probably nothing more than a folk tale, spied through the imaginative lens of a child's mind. Some poor soul probably just happened across driftwood after an abundance of ale. So, can you help the poor chap out?"

IQ: "I'm sorry, Jago, but there's not much I can do. We haven't received word of a missing persons report, so it'll be hard to locate his guardians. Whether they boarded that train to Scotland without the boy or not, they haven't yet contacted the authorities."

HGJ: "Are you saying there's nothing you can do? The boy will be inconsolable."

IQ: "There's not many reasons preventing a parent from reporting a missing child. Now, maybe it's because they're stuck in transit, and we'll have a telegram in the morning from Glasgow. But it could simply be that they chose to abandon their child in a public area, then scarpered."

HGJ: "Inspector, that's monstrous!"

IQ: "I'm not saying its likely, but I've seen it happen before. There's a dark underbelly to society, Mister Jago, as incomprehensible as it might be to an honest man like yourself."

HGJ: "I don't see how Howard's parents could be so cold and callous."

IQ: "Honestly, I agree with you. But the high ups won't see it that way. The best I can do is keep the child here in a cell until we hear from his folks, and if we don't get word in a week or so, he'll be sent to an orphanage."

HGJ: "Good heavens!"

IQ: "I hate it just as much as you do, Jago, but my hands are tied unless his parents report his disappearance. We can't very well search every train station from here to Dundee based on a child's description of his guardians."

HGJ: "So that's it then? Abandon poor Howard to a life in the workhouse, growing up in the supposed care of the state?"

IQ: "That's only if you file a report of course."

HGJ: "I don't understand."

IQ: "If you report this lost boy to me, I'll have to entrust him to the custody of the state until his parents claim him, assuming they eventually do so. But, if you left, without informing me of the child,  he's free to go."

HGJ: "How does that help the little tyke? I can't toss him back to the street!"

IQ: "Then don't. Let him stay in your care. Just for a few days, of course. Give his parents time to report to us. You keep Howie safe and out of trouble while I keep my ear to the ground, hopefully something will turn up. Worst case scenario, he's sent to the orphanage in a week's time instead. Keeping it unofficial is the best I can offer you."

HGJ: "Well, I appreciate your candid explanation, Inspector. I can't say I'm thrilled, but it'll have to do. I'll look after the child for now and hope you can indeed locate his parents."

IQ: "I wish I could be more help, it breaks my heart to see a child forlorn like this."

HGJ: "I'm sure you'll do all in your power, Quick. Thank you."

The office door creaks again as Jago and Quick return.

HP: "Jago! Did the policeman find momma?"

HGJ: "Not yet, Howie. But, um, these things take time. London is a big area, so there's a lot of places he has to search. Don't worry though. He's the best officer on the force, and a credit to Her Majesty herself. If anyone can find your mother, it's Percy Quick! In the meantime, you can stay with me and I'll look after you. Just for a few days."

HP: "You're the best, Jago! This is gonna be awesome. I'll have so many stories to tell momma when she's back!"

HGJ: "Thank you again, Inspector. Oh, I have one other question, if I may?"

IQ: "Go ahead, by all means."

HGJ: "Is Litefoot on the premises?"

IQ: "He left early today, as a matter of fact. Said he wanted to catch up on his reading. Why?"

HGJ: "His leisurely literature will have to wait. My humble hovel is hardly suitable for such company, so Howard and I will have to pay him a visit."

***

Mudlark 1: "Nothing but old boots and tin cans. Any luck down your way?"

Mudlark 2: "Aye, Pat. Lookit these! Fine set of false gnashers!"

Pat: "What use is teeth to you Long John? You still got most of your pearls."

Long John: "Look at the bottom set. He's got a couple made if solid gold back there."

Pat: "Shove off! Who'd waste gold on dentures anyway? Your eyes must be off."

Long John: "It's true, I swears it. He musta been one of them epileptics or somewhat."

Pat: "Think you mean elliptical."

Long John: "Well, any man with more money than sense can afford to be called whatever he likes. Hey, Pat! Did you see that?"

Pat: "See what?"

Long John: "See them ripples. There was bubbles there a second ago."

Pat: "Probably just a fishie John. Don't get too excited."

Long John: "There it was again! Oh mercy, I saw it! It's no fishie Pat. Least, like no fish I ever seen. It's eyes, big and black and round, like massive lumps of coal, but all polished and shiny."

Pat: "It's just shadows. It's late and you been out here too long. It's all in your head."

Long John: "No! It's the frogmen. I know it is, I knew they was real. Old Patsy tried to tell me they was an old wive's tale, but I says to her, 'Patsy. You may be old but you ain't ever been a wife, so it's the only tall tale is your explanation'."

Pat: "Let's just go home, OK? Leave all this nonsense behind.... Crikey!"

Long John: "It can be in my head if you're seeing it too! He's rising out of the water!"

Pat: "He's seven foot if he's inch, blimey. All green scaly skin, mounds of thick, knotted hair hanging for his head."

Long John: "That's not hair. It's seaweed, or possibly tentacles. But it's not hair."

Pat: "Look at his teeth! There's so many, and so sharp!"

Long John: "I'm busy looking at those long, spindly, wedded fingers of his, topped with yellowed claws. We should scarper Pat. He seems a bit peeved."

Pat: "We might have a problem there. See, while we was staring at himself emerging from the river, two of his buddies crept up behind us."

Long John: "Sneaky little blighters. Come to drag us down to Davy Jones, have ye? Well, you can try, but old Long.... AGGRRRGHHHH"

With a shrieking hiss, the creatures attack. The scene fades out on the sounds of screams and rending flesh.

****

A doorbell rings frantically

PGL: "Gracious, can't a man get any peace in his own home? Probably a couple of local children out guising, even if it's a few nights early. Should I answer the door? No, Mrs Hudson is always more than willing to reward the children. Besides, I've just gotten comfortable in my favourite armchair, the fire is blazing contentedly in the hearth, and I've got a new Jules Verne and a steaming mug of cocoa. What more can a gentleman ask for?"

The doorbell continues to ring.

PGL: "Where is my housekeeper? It's most unlike her to leave a summons unanswered... Curses, she said she was off to play bingo after she served me my cocoa. *shouting* Just a second, I'll be with you presently."

The doorbell grows louder as Litefoot nears the door. He unlatches it and swings it smoothly open.

PGL: "Terribly sorry about the delay, I hadn't realized my.... Jago?"

HGJ: "Professor, how nice it is to see you. I was just passing the neighborhood, and..."

PGL: "Henry, can I just stop your soliloquy before you build up too much steam? Tell me, why are you standing on my porch, holding the hand of an eight year old boy?"

HGJ: "Actually, I was hoping you'd be kind enough to allow us to stay with you, for a few nights?"

PGL: "Corks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment