Friday 1 April 2016

J&L: The Curse, The Cult & The Captain (3)

The Red Tavern

EH: "You're in early today gents. Special occasion, is it?"

GL: "We're supposed to be meeting a curious chap who made our acquaintance last night."

HGJ: "The bally cove broke into the Professor's house while we were retiring to rest with some rewarding refreshments, a fine cup of rosy lee."

EH: "So, a fella breaks into your 'ouse, and you invite 'im to the pub afterwards? You chaps 'ave done some strange things in the past, but this is the most bizarre yet! What was 'e after anyways, money?"

GL: "Actually, he wanted our help in a matter of national security."

HGJ: "With the authority of Queen Victoria herself! But don't tell anyone, it's a covert and clandestine cooperation."

GL: "Hmm, yes. Secretive indeed!"

EH: "So 'e couldn't just ask nicely? What did this man look like, anyway. Military bearing, long coat, 'andsome face, muttonchops and a killer smile?"

HGJ: "That's the chap! Have you seen him before, Ellie?"

Eh: "I think 'e's just walked in, Mr. J."

CJH: "Ah, hello there. Sorry if I'm late. For a time with so few cars, traffic is a nightmare! I thought 21st Century congestion was bad. And it was hard to find this place without my Sat-Nav. Funny the things you don't miss until they're gone. Oh, who's this lovely lady?"

EH: "Ellie 'igson, at your service sir, Mr..."

CJH: "Enchanted to meet you, miss Higson. I'm Captain Harkness, but you can call me Jack. I might have to put that offer of service to use later."

Jack said, with a devilish smile and a sly wink. Ellie let out an involuntary giggle before composing herself.

EH: "Right, well, can I get anyone a drink? On the 'ouse, Jack."

CJH: "Too kind, my dear. How about a round of strawberry daiquiris?"

GL: "What on Earth are those?"

HGJ: "This is a libationary establishment, not the kitchens of Buckingham Palace, Captain."

CJH: "It's a cocktail. Look, Ellie, why don't I pop into the back room with you and we can see what we can whip up. Back in a jiffy, guys. My daiquiri is the toast of Andromeda. Literally."

HGJ: "I still don't know what to make of this Harkness, George. Do you think we can trust him?"

GL: "I have no idea, Jago. He's a rambunctious sort, and somewhat vain, but he does seem earnest in his desire to complete his mission. He could be a valuable ally, and besides, any friend of The Doctor can't be too bad, I suppose. Property damage aside."

HGJ: "I suppose you're right, Litefoot. But there's something about him. Something he said that I can't quite remember. I'm sure it's nothing."

GL: "Me shall wait and see, then. Either way, we need his help to ascertain what's happening at present."

HGJ: "Speaking of, how long does it take to prepare an intoxicating imbibment?"

GL: "Speak of the devil."

Jack and Ellie emerged from the back room of the tavern, Jack holding a tray of three pink beverages, and Ellie adjusting her apron, and fixing her hair.

CJH: "Wait until you get a load of this! I had to substitute a few ingredients, no crushed ice, but still serviceable."

HGJ: "You certainly took your time."

CJH: "Well, while I was looking for ingredients, I sampled some of what Ellie here is offering. I didn't have time to try the main course, I'll have to visit some other time."

GL: "There's quite a kick to this drink, Captain! I don't normally care for such strong alcohol. And so sweet too. I can't tell if I'm enjoying it!"

HGJ: "Dashed queer, eh? Don't suppose that's where the name comes from?"

GL: "Where did you find such a florid recipe, Captain? It's most intriguing. However, should we get down to business?"

HGJ: "Just when I was beginning to enjoy myself. Right then, I've recalibrated my anachronism scanner since last night, and I think I've found a hotspot, in a district to the East."

HGJ: "And you propose we go there to collect crucial clues with our investigative insight?"

CJH: "Indeed, Jago."

GL: "Well then, no time like the present!"

No comments:

Post a Comment