Sunday 27 March 2016

J&L: The Curse, The Cult & The Captain (2)

The Parlour of George Litefoot.

"Captain, eh? You don't seem to have a military bearing about you, despite the outfit. I can spot an actor in costume from a mile off. We've had dodgy dealings with duplicitous devils claiming to have royal authority before."

"Ah yes, Jago. This Captain does remind me somewhat of the devious Colonel."

"Fine, you got me! I've spent more time as a con-man than a soldier, but I do work for the Crown."

"Ha! A likely story!"

"It's true! In fact, the Colonel was affiliated with my organisation for a time, before being dishonourably discharged. Nice work in dealing with that for us, by the way."

"You're aware of our investigative adventures?"

"Correct. At least, judging by your demeanor, you must be the infamous Jago & Litefoot. Torchwood has quite the file on you two."

"What is this 'Torchwood'? You seem to know intimate details about my colleague and myself, but I dare say we know nothing about you. Except that you've blundered in here, damaging my property!"

"Look, fellas, we've gotten off on the wrong foot here. We're all on the same side."

"Piffle! Don't believe a word from this self-proclaimed pompous poser! He even called himself a con-man."

"Jago, allow me to explain myself, and I can explain the function of that Quantum Flux Stabiliser. I assume you're stumped by it."

"You've seen one of these things before then?"

"Oh yeah, basic tool in the arsenal of a Time Agent."

"Time Agent? I've never heard such rot, Professor!"

"Let's hear him out, Jago. It can't hurt, I suppose. Friend or foe, understanding the cove's motives is prudent. Let's start with this Torchwood."

"We're outside the government, beyond the police. A covert organisation founded by her Majesty Queen Victoria to defend the Empire from alien incursions and technologies. Unfortunately, some of our operatives can take that remit too far, using such technologies for their own gain. Much like our mutual friend the Colonel."

"If that is indeed true, Captain, then where was the assistance from you or your organisation during the Colonel incident?"

"Yes, Professor. We have managed malevolent machinations, combating cretinous coves and solving supernatural situations for years without your input."

"Guys, I can't deny your results, that's why we've been happy to let you continue, for now. Your typical cases tend to be small scale stuff, Torchwood concerns itself with more widespread threats. Oh, and we did help out with the Colonel. Miss Agatha Worthing was one of our most skilled agents, and a phenomenal lover."

"Dashed cheek! We've protected this planet from powerful peril countless times."

"Well said, Henry. Your arrogance is distasteful, Captain."

"Oi! Don't mistake my confidence for arrogance, old timer! Officially Torchwood is against any sort of vigilante cosmic investigators, but it's my influence that has kept you guys independent. My bosses would prefer to shut you down."

"So are we to be grateful for that, Jack? Like I should be grateful for you breaking into my home?"

"Look, let's just cut to the case, this is getting a bit too confrontational. We have a mutual friend in The Doctor. Our records indicate you've had dealings with him. I used to travel in the TARDIS for a time. Officially, The Doctor is an enemy of Torchwood. I don't agree with some some of our remit, but I'm trying to improve things. We're on the same side here."

"Ok, Jack. Assuming Henry and I believe your frankly tall tale, why on Earth did you break into my house in the first place?"

"I've been tracking alien technology. Anything soaked in chronon particles, tachyons, anything anachronistic. I picked up some readings from your Quantum Flux Stabiliser, and thought you might be the source of the disturbances."

"So, can you explain this bally thing to us then? The Doctor was not very helpful when he gave it to us."

"It's a dimensional every manipulator. It's used to seal breaches in the time space fabric. Like stitching a wound, whereas I'm hoping to find the root of the injury. Did you say the Doctor gave you this?"

"Correct, Captain, but not directly. He's unable to land here at present."

"Then things are worse than I thought. If the TARDIS can't materialise, then the Vortex is in very bad shape. Something powerful is attempting to force it's way into this dimension, and it's being helped by someone or something from this side of the breach."

"Then it looks like we have the same objective. If you're willing to pay for the damage to my window, then we'll be happy to have your assistance in this matter."

"Deal."

No comments:

Post a Comment