Sunday 10 July 2016

Jago & Litefoot & Peggy (6)

"Jago, since you seem to have developed something of a rapport with the gentleman, you shall act as a distraction." explained Litefoot hurriedly. "Allowing me to make my way into the bell tower."
"At which point," continued Peggy, "I shall become the distraction, so Jago can get to the pipe organ."
"Then, during the calamitous cacophony of campanology and clerical chords, Miss Carter can tackle the brute!"

"Do you intend to remain hidden there all day, like sheep in the snow?" came a boastful voice from the altar. "Please enact whatever pitiful plan you have no doubt concocted soon. I have a Stark to slay."
Jago stepped out from behind the pew, to face Ulysses. His mustachioed jowls quivering with fear, though he stood his ground firmly.
"Ha, you call that pathetic patter villainous dialogue? You're nothing but a hack, I wouldn't even hire someone with your lack of talent for the January pantomime!"

"What?! What are you babbling on about, you semi-shaved baboon?" Ulysses felt himself loosing control of the situation. He had faced many threats in his coloured past, but never anything so confusingly bizarre.

"There, pertinently proving my prudent point. Your application of apposite alliteration leaves much to be desired. Have you ever considered a career treading the boards? I wouldn't waste my time if I were you."
"Silence! You will be silent! I should kill you right now."
"How exactly would killing me, or anyone here bring you closer to your intended target? I've faced more competent and capable criminals than you, who've just wanted to pinch my wallet.... Corks!"

Jago threw himself to the ground again, as the irate Ulysses fired another sonic blast. The air which Jago had occupied moments before rippled with energy, before calming. "Are you dead? Do we finally have peace and quiet?"

Peggy Carter sighed inwardly. She'd had enough ham-to-ham combat when Howard was involved. She only hoped Jago had bought enough time. She stepped forward into the spot where Jago had stood.
"Nobody else has to die Ulysses. Please, hear me out. I can grant you access to Howard, if that's what you want. Just don't harm anyone else."

"And why should I trust a... viper, such as yourself? You seem poisonous, deceitful..." He was wary, but his attention was focused on Peggy. She took a subtle glance downwards, Jago had moved out of sight.
"Because I work for Mr. Stark. He's a swindler, a lecherous fool and a despicable boss. I would like to see him dead."

Jago made his way quickly and quietly to the alcove that housed the enormous church pipe organ. He took a quick glance behind him. Miss Carter was still occupying Ulysses. Of Litefoot, he could see no sign, but surely enough time had passed?
"Blimey!" exclaimed Jago, looking at the organ. "Haven't tinkled the ivories since Mrs. Featherbottom dropped out on Sunday matinee. Then again, I hardly need classical training for this concerto."
He pressed as many keys as his two hands could reach. After holding this note, he switched to the keys he had not yet pressed, upping the intensity. A wailing howl emanated from the old instrument, and Ulysses was momentarily stunned.

In the rafters of the bell tower, Litefoot was gasping for breath. 

"I hadn't imagined that this tower would be so extensive..." he sighed. He had just reached the bell as Jago began his composition. Litefoot scrabbled to the ropes that operated the bell, to find them disconnected. A sign on a nearby wall mentioned that the bell was decommissioned due to rot of the supporting structure.

"Dash it all! This bell is missing it's ringer!"

Looking around for an alternative method, he spied the supporting beam holding the bell in place, and the rot therein. Litefoot clambered up above the bell, and began thrashing the beam with his cane.

"Please forgive me." he mused as the supports gave way. The massive bell, easily 15ft wide fell down below, clattering and echoing throughout the church structure as it plummeted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment