Tuesday 29 November 2016

TW Casefiles: Silver Linings (3)

Susan and I were shown to our table, an intimate booth nestled under the large leafy arms of a potted plant. Our table gave both of us a perfect view of the waterfall. Torrents of crystal clear water cascaded down to a small pool on the far side of the restaurant. Candles dotted around the tables cast a warm flickering glow across the scene, illuminating the mist from the waterfall like fairy dust. It was an utterly magical moment. How I wished that such a moment would last forever; A brief window of bliss, before the coming storm.

Our waiter handed us each a menu, and took a drinks order as we perused the menu in silence. Desperate to ease the tension I could feel building, I spoke.

"So, what are you thinking of ordering?" It wasn't exactly inventive, but it was the best I could think of.

"Honestly, I'd take anything. I'm starved! I've been helping my cousin pick a wedding outfit all day. All day!" Sue replied, smiling.

Again, I began to doubt myself. Was she beeping her usual amusing self, or was she flippant? Maybe she wasn't being serious because she didn't see our relationship as serious. I knew I was being idiotic, and taking everything far too seriously, but I couldn't help my mind running off on such tangents. For as long as I could remember, my mind was always like this; Assuming the worst, searching for the negative interpretation, and it took great effort to overcome the initial fears I always had. But I wasn't going to let my mind get in the way. Not this time.

"Who's getting married?" I asked, in a voice that I hoped sounded genuinely chipper, but was probably forced.

"Denise. She's a close friend of my cousin, Jane. The wedding is in January, so Jane needs my help to pick a dress. Not to sound ungrateful of course, I love her to bits, but why she thinks I know about fashion, is anyone's guess."

"Not at all! I mean look at you. That dress is beautiful on you." I replied.

"Nah. Thanks though. Besides, I didn't even pick this out. Jane bought it for me on my birthday. In her words 'If I'm to be seen with you, Suzie, you're going to look your best.' Don't get me wrong. She's lovely. Just a little materialistic."

Curses! Political minefield. Behind my concerned gaze I was freaking out. If I agreed, then Sue might think I was offending Jane, but if I didn't Sue might feel I wasn't respecting her opinion. Again, this was a time in my life when I felt that I could do no right. My subconscious excelled at warping my worldview to fit the narrative of my ineptitude. Such thoughts were not really my own.

The waiter returned to take out order, absolving me from the responsibility of answering Susan. I ordered a roast breast of duck with a medley of vegetables, while Susan went for the lamb shank. As the waiter scurried away, Susan spoke to me again.

"So, what made you choose this place, Arven?"

"Why?" I asked, concerned. "Is there a problem with it? I'm sure we could cancel our..." I stammered.

"What? No! I mean, I love it! It's all so magical. Thanks for taking me here." She exclaimed, then after a small pause, she continued.
"Unless of course, you're not happy with it?"

"Not at all!" I replied, quickly. "It's awesome here. I just wanted to make sure you we happy with it..." I decided it best to change the subject.
"Actually, Tony was the one who recommended it. He was here with Sarah last month."

"Let me guess, he was 'gushing with praise' over the waterfall, wasn't he?" She joked.

I laughed in reply. "Yeah, you could say that his praise was free-flowing." 

"Woooow..." Sue drew out the word. "I couldn't say which pun was worse."

"Well, yours actually made sense, so this time it was mine."

"Fine. Fine. You win, King Punderful." She said, faking a sulk. "But don't get too cocky. I'll have my revenge!"

Suddenly, I realized my cheeks were pained. I was smiling so hard that it hurt. I couldn't remember when I'd last felt so content and just... at ease. No worries, no stresses, no racing thoughts... just living in the moment with the person I loved. However, I know better than most that good things don't last. As I sat there, smiling, I felt my phone vibrate. Almost without thinking, I took it out and checked my notifications. The Torchwood systems had picked up on a Garda dispatch to UCC. I realized how rude I was being on my phone, and chose to put it away. Whatever was going on could wait a few hours. I had a date to focus on.

Sue and I continued to enjoy each others company as our food was brought out. We chatted about work, and life and our mutual acquaintances as we enjoyed the feast before us. I'd even managed to mostly silence my negative instincts and live in the moment for once. As the waiter cleared our table and left us a pair of desert menus, I felt my phone vibrate once again. Almost instinctively, I had my phone in hand as I read the latest updates. The medical Campus had been cordoned off once more, and another student was reportedly missing, having apparently vanished from the same pathway as the previous girl. Something sinister was afoot, I'd have to investigate it soon. But it could wait until the morning, I decided.

As I put my phone away, I realized Sue was staring at me, brow slightly furrowed.
"Something the matter, Arven?" she asked, a little too tersely. How long had I been on my phone for?

"Err, well..." I began, before stopping myself. I couldn't be honest here, could I? I couldn't exactly use "alien scheme" as an excuse for being rude on a date. This wasn't the time to explain my life to her. Nor could I say I was checking the news, because that would just be rude. I'm not proud of the excuse I stumbled upon however.

"Sorry. Just checking in with home. My grandad is in hospital." I lied, surprising myself with the scope of it.

"Oh my God! I'm sorry! What's wrong?" Sue asked, an adorable ball of concern.

"Oh nothing like that." I backpedalled, fighting the guilt I was feeling. "It's a relatively minor thing. But it's just at his age anything sounds worse than it is."

"Well, if you need to step out and take a call, please do. I wish him the best." Just as I thought I'd gotten away with it, Sue frowned at me.
"Hang on... I thought you told me you only had one grandparent left. Your Nana."

"Urk!" I exclaimed.

"Arven. I don't care about you checking your phone. It's 2016. But for God's sake please don't insult my intelligence by lying to me." She said, voice soft with anger.

"Sue. I can explain..."

"Leave it. I don't want to hear another excuse. I just want you to be honest with me Arven. Look..." she said, pausing to sigh.
"Ever since you asked me out, you've been acting kind of weird. You're not as chatty, you seem almost paranoid, always dashing off for phone calls or something. You've been distant. Distracted. Now I find out you're lying. To my face. Blatantly."

"I'm sorry. It's just..." I tried to defend myself, but only half heartedly. She was right, really. I hadn't been myself ever since the Vakarian invasion. And I couldn't defend myself without mentioning aliens and sounding like a madman.

"Arven. I thought you were serious about us. I certainly was. But if you can't even be honest with me, then there's no point in us continuing. I think we both need to go away and have a long think about what we both really want. Maybe we just weren't meant to be." As she finished, she stood up quickly, to hide the tears in her eyes. I motioned to follow her, but she gestured for me to stay put as she almost ran to the till. I sat, dazed, for a few moments, feeling the strands of my life pull apart as the sky began to cave in. How had a date that started so well end so badly. It was my fault. I should have just told her about my second life.

There was no point in sitting feeling sorry for myself. If I was to have any chance at salvaging the night, I had to act. I followed Sue to the till, but as I reached it, she had already finished paying.
"I've sorted my half, Arven. It's only fair. Don't think about following me home for some grand demonstration of your affections. If you have any respect for me you'll let me walk out that door right now. Let's both have a night to consider, and we can see where we stand in the morning." I was painful for her to say what she was telling me, and almost as painful to hear it. But I understood her perfectly well. I let her leave, as I paid my bill. Who knew what the morning would bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment