Wednesday 15 March 2017

J&L: Jagowl & Litepaw (8)

St. Bart's Mortuary

Litefoot: "*groaning* Ugh, where am I? Falling asleep on the job eh, George? What next, talking to yourself? Gustav! No, he's long gone, and Jago is still out for the count. How long was I asleep? A solid hour if that wall-clock if anything to go by."

Jago: "Oh, my aching head... I've had worse mornings after nights before though not by much of a margin."

Litefoot: "It's no mere alcohol induced haze I'm afraid. We've been drugged by my alleged apprentice."

Jago: "Who was also my leading act. That cove Julian isn't going to get away this time."

Litefoot: "Priorities Henry. Let's worry about curing you first. Then we can focus on stopping this Julian. And finding you a new star performer."

Jago: "Well, it's not just me that needs curing, is it?"

Litefoot: "What?"

Jago: "You mean you haven't...? Oh corks!"

Litefoot: "Henry, what aren't you telling me?"

Jago: "It's... best if you just look in a mirror. Here, take this surgical tray, seems plenty reflective."

Litefoot: "Good heavens! Are those whiskers?"

Jago: "I'm personally more concerned about your slit pupils and pointed ears."

Litefoot: "And the downy fur adorning my face! I'm a feline! What has that Julian done?"

Jago: "Welcome to the club, Litefoot. Or should that be Litepaw?"

Litefoot: "Not for long, if I've any say in the matter. Come along, we've got a circus owner to confront."

Jago: "We should inform Ellie on our way, that one of her staff is a no good lying cove, in case Julian tries anything."

Litefoot: "The Red Tavern is between here and Kensington, after all. You don't believe she could be in danger though? Surely 'Jim' will disappear now that his identity has been revealed."

Jago: "Probably, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The thoughts of that cunning creep infiltrating our Ellie's sanctum of salubriation is enough to make my skin crawl."

Litefoot: "Very well. I'll fetch our cloaks. We'll need to be concealed to travel London in our current state."

***
The Red Tavern
***

Litefoot: "Ellie, please open up. It's us!"

Ellie: "Sorry Professor. We're closed, I've told you already."

Jago: "It's about your man Jim. He's not who he says he is, he's dangerous!"

Ellie: "Oh, don't I know it."

Litefoot: "Has he hurt you?"

Ellie: "I dunno what he's done exactly, but it's embarrassing. I can't let you two see me like this. Go away."

Litefoot: "Ellie... We might be able to help..."

Jago: "It can't be any worse than what he's done to us!  Thanks to his machinations, I'm festooned with feathers while Litefoot here is fast forming feline features."

Litefoot: "He's turning people into hybrid creations, part human, part beast. Is this what's happened to you?"

Ellie: "Shoulda known you two would be involved. Alright, you can come in, but you gotta promise not to laugh."

Litefoot: "Never, my dear. We are upstanding gentlemen of honour and refinement."

*door creaks open*

Ellie: "Is that so? Then why is Jago trying to hide a smile beneath his beak?"

Jago: "I'm sorry Ellie. It's just, I've thought of a name for you in your current state."

Ellie: "I have a feeling I know what you're thinking, but if you ever utter that name at me Mr. J, so help me God I'll ram my boot so far up your..."

Litefoot: "Ahem. If I may, we should get around to discussing the matter at hand. Henry, I'd suggest getting over any porcine puns you might be formulating. If you wish to ever drink here again."

Jago: "My deepest apologies, Ellie."

Ellie: "That's alright Mr. J. No harm done. I'm sure a snout and a curly tail looks amusing from where you're sat. It's just, I had enough of being called 'Pigson' in me school days."

Litefoot: "So, to surmise what we know about thus far, 'Jim' or Julian as he prefers to be called has been watching us three for some time, in a number of disguises, for the unknown reasons."

Jago: "He's made a deal with a circus owner, Mr. Sydney Lambert, to develop some kind of animalistic affliction, which he has given to us as a sort of test."

Ellie: "The fun never stops with you two, does it? Is there any way to fix us?"

Litefoot: "Supposedly, a cure does exist, and we intend to confront Mr. Lambert about the possibility of attaining such a cure presently."

Ellie: "But why would either of them make this disease in the first place? There must be easier ways to assault the pair of you."

Jago: "Apparently this has been a bit of a pet project for Mr. Lambert for some time. He's dreamed of merging man and beast, which he uses in his circus freakshows."

Ellie: "So what's the plan to confront him then? Send for Quick and raid his premises?"

Litefoot: "A tad blunt, we need Lambert to talk. If we show up alone, we have a better chance of engaging him in civil discourse."

Jago: "Perhaps this is best suited to the constabulary, George. We're hardly at our physical peak in these beastly bodies. Besides..."

*door bursts open*

Ellie: "Inspector?!"

Quick: "Sorry to barge in like this Miss Higson, but I've been looking for the gentlemen all morning and this is the only other place I could think to find them. It's an urgent matter."

Litefoot: "Well, you've found us now. And I can certainly see why."

Quick: "I woke up this morning covered in spikes. Damn near ripped my uniform in two getting dressed. Thought you were the best person to see about my sudden change into a hedgehog."

Litefoot: "From the length of the spines, I'd say it's more akin to a porcupine, but point taken. As you can see, we are all similarly affected, in our own way."

Quick: "Chin up, Quill. We'll soon have this mess sorted out. Actually we were hoping you'd accompany us to apprehend the criminal behind all this."

Quick: "No can do, Jago. I'm needed over on the green. We've been getting reports all morning of large animals roaming the streets. In the general vicinity of this part of town in fact."

Ellie: "You're on duty? Looking like a walking pincushion?"

Quick: "I have a duty of obligation to serve and protect the people. I'm not going to let something like this get in the way of my job. Especially as I'd bet strange beasts on the streets are likely tied to whatever caused my condition."

Litefoot: "Spoken like a true knight of the realm. But I'm afraid Jago and I cannot offer any assistance. Assuming the events are connected, our confrontation of Lambert may be the only thing that can cure us, and stop whatever is stalking the streets. And if it turns out to just be a mere issue of wild animals, London Zoo would be better suited to containing it than us two."

Quick: "Best of luck then, for all our sakes."

No comments:

Post a Comment