Thursday 30 March 2017

J&L: Jagowl & Litepaw (9)

Hampstead Heath

Constable: "Ah, there you are Inspector, and not a moment too soon."

Quick: "Came as soon as I could Reggie. Oh, this is Miss Ellie Higson by the way."

Constable: "Charmed, m'lady. *whispers* Here Quick, won't your Missus be peeved if she finds out you're carrying on with a young one?"

Quick: "Reggie! That is not an appropriate way to address a superior officer."

Constable: "I meant nothing by it, I swear. Your secret is safe with me."

Ellie: "Oi! There's no 'secret' pal. I've come to help the inspector, cause I'm tied up in this case too."

Constable: "I just assumed, given you're both in cloaks. Discretion and all that."

Quick: "Never assume Reggie, if you want to make it as an officer of the law. Baseless assumptions make us all look bad. These cloaks are simply to keep out the worst of the chilling fog."

Ellie: "We hardly need to hide anyway, with this fog I can barely see your face."

Quick: "Which means we won't be able to see this roaming feline until it's too late."

Constable: "A number of teams from the Zoo are out patrolling areas of London with reported wild animal sightings, though most refuse to use their weapons until the weather clears."

Quick: "That could be a long time to wait."

*a not too distant roar*

Ellie: "Time we don't have. Run!"

*another roar, closer*

Quick: "It came from the North edge."

Constable: "Which way is North?"

Ellie: "This way you lummox. *whispers* Wouldn't be surprised if he was part gorilla."

*a roar, followed by pained cries*

Quick: "It's got someone! Hurry!"

Ellie: "There it is, standing over something."

Constable: "It's not something, it's someone!"

Quick: "Constable Davidson! Get away from him you beast!"

Ellie: "It's no use. It's too busy feeding to notice you."

Quick: "Oh yeah? He'll notice this."

*a gunshot, followed by two more in quick succession. The jaguar roars in pain*

Ellie: *Bull's-eye! Good shot Inspector."

Quick: "He felt it, but it wasn't a killshot. C'mon, we have to stay on its tail."

Ellie: "Can't have it escape again, and at least you can end its suffering."

Constable: "Go Inspector. I'll tend to Davidson."

*sounds of running and exertion*

Ellie: "Over here! It's slunk into this alley."

Quick: "Careful Ellie. You know what they say about cornered animals. I'll take point."

Ellie: "Right you are. Oh, I can't see a damn thing in this fog."

Quick: "It left us a trail of blood to follow at least."

*a low whimper*

Ellie: "Did you hear that? It's close, and in pain. I kind of feel bad for the creature. It's hurt people, but it's only acting on instinct, so far from its natural habitat."

Quick: "I see him, just over there. Licking his wounds. It's OK fella, easy now. Best to put you out of your misery."

*one final gunshot*

Quick: "I'm sorry, but I had to finish it. Poor beast. Wait, what are you lying on exactly?"

Ellie: "Clothes. A full set of clothing? What's that doing in an alleyway?"

Quick: "Partially ripped, though the threading would suggest something burst of these clothes, rather than being ripped by the cat's claws."

Ellie: "Wait a minute. That cravat, I'd recognize anywhere. There's only one man in London who'd wear lime green with pink spots. I'd bet my bar that that's Alfie Jones, one of my regulars. Oh Alfie, what's happened?"

Quick: "I have an awful feeling that I know the answer. What if Alfie was slipped the same thing we and the gentlemen were given? Maybe he was stumbling through this alleyway when he began to change,  he burst out of his clothes."

Ellie: "You don't mean, that Alfie was that big cat? We're both infected, and we've only partially changed. How could he turn into a cat?"

Quick: "Maybe he got a stronger dose. Maybe that's just the final stage of what we have. Either way, we'd best hope the Professor and Jago are having better luck with a cure, or London could be beset by a whole carnival of horrors."

No comments:

Post a Comment