Saturday 6 August 2016

J&L: Mysteries of the Macabre (5)

Mortuary, St. Thomas' Hospital

IQ: "Morning Professor."

PGL: "Inspector Quick? I didn't expect to see you again so soon!"

IQ: "I could leave again sir, if now is inconvenient."

PGL: "Nothing of the sort, Quick! I meant no offence. I take it you have news of another grizzly murder related to our investigation?"

IQ: "Not exactly, Professor. To tell you the truth, this is a bit of a cold case."

PGL: "In which case, I doubt my skills will be of much use if decomposition has set in... how cold is the case exactly?"

IQ: "Well, I'm no expect in these matters, but it's several thousand years or so I'm led to believe"

PGL: "What?!"

IQ: "The body in question is an Egyptian mummy. I received your note outlining your suspicion that our killer at large may be a figure wrapped in linen, with Egyptian paraphernalia. Still no sign of that Tim Daniels though."

PGL: "A pity. But where on Earth did you find a mummy? You haven't raided the Natural History museum, have you?!"

IQ: "We received an anonymous tip yesterday evening, from a bearded Italian textile merchant. Said he was a 'vendor of a veritable variety of Venician velvet'."

PGL: "And 'superb Sicilian silk', no doubt."

IQ: "You know the chap?"

PGL: "You could say we're acquainted. But what did he tell you?"

IQ: "Claimed that a man by the name of Edmund Erickson had designs on unwrapping a Pharaoh. Another one of those tacky unravel parties. I organised a raid, and sure enough, found a group of toffs standing around a mummy."

PGL: "Is it here, in custody? I should like to examine it. Purely to ascertain if it is somehow responsible for yesterday's murder."

IQ: "I'll have it sent down here presently. Do let me know what you find. It's a bit of a long shot though. I'll have my men continue to search for Tim, or criminals wearing linen wrappings, masquerading as mummies. Makes more sense than walking corpses anyway."

London Docklands

*The sound of ships and sea punctuate the air. A man, Dr. Tim Daniels, is out if breath, sighing in resignation*

DTD: "I knew you would come for me. No point in running from my folly any longer."

DTD: "Silent type, I see. Didn't realize that the tongue was removed during the mummification process."

DTD: "Surprisingly big and bulky for a corpse too. Not like any dessicated corpse I've ever seen. Comes with the curse I expect."

DTD: "Come on then. End it! There's no way out for me. I can't bear the wait! For what it's worth, I'm sorry for disturbing your tomb."

DTD: "Wait.... you've stopped. Why?"

*A regal, powerful voice responds*

Voice: "The vessel has been found. The key to my salvation must be retrieved."

DTD: "*relieved sigh*"

Voice: "Oh, and kill the human. His energy is required"

Mortuary, St. Thomas' Hospital

PGL: "Right then, let's see what secrets you're hiding... Hope you don't mind if I chat away, I find thinking aloud helps focus the mind. Obviously, I don't expect you to answer back... though that would prove the walking dead theory."

PGL: "You're a tall one, and no mistake. Must be at least seven feet and thin as a post. Unusually tall for a human, no to mention someone of your era. Although you seem altogether too scrawny to be responsible for the murder by way of strangulation."

PGL: "Right, time to get these bandages off. Let's start with the head...."

PGL: "Good heavens! Unless my medical training was woefully incomplete, you are not human at all, are you? The body is covered in a sort of downy fluff, like rabbit hide. The ears are long and pointed, while the nose and mouth is  almost snout-like!"

PGL: "I'm not veterinarian, but you seem to share a lot of evolutionary traits with the canine species. Like some sort of half man, half dog figure. I'd better keep unraveling, who knows what other secrets you're hiding?"

PGL: "Hmm. Your arms are crossed over your chest. My, what sharp nails you have, almost like claws! But what's this? There's something clutched in your fist. Some kind of red jewel, that seems to be giving off some sort of phosphorescent glow."

*Crash!*

PGL: "Who's there?"

PGL: "Oh. Things are beginning to fall onto place. Another mummy! A big, broad chested brute of a figure this time though. Let me guess, you're the muscle while the chap on the slab is in control."

Voice: "Silence human! The vessel has been located. The key to my salvation is at hand."

PGL: "And just who might you be? Am I speaking to the mummy, or some controlling phantom?"

Voice: "Kill him. He is vexing me."

PGL: "Steady on! Can't we just discuss this like reasonable fellows?"

*The bulky mummy takes a loud swing*

PGL: "Evidently not. I warn you, I'm a dab hand with a scalpel."

PGL: "Had! Too slow, that's the trouble with size like yours. No speed or finesse. Have at you!"

PGL: "I'm cutting right through! Like there's no resistance... like you're... hollow?!"

PC Davis: "Professor, I heard a commotion . What's going on?"

PGL: "I'm being attacked by a murderous mummy who somehow got past your security, constable. What does it look like?"

PC Davis: "Oi! Bandage boy! Cease your assault or I will open fire!"

Voice: *deep laughter*

*PC Davis fires off two shots*

PGL: "No good Davis. They're passing straight though. I think it's hollow."

PC Davis: "Then there's plan B. My trusty lighter!"

PGL: "Good show, dry linen will go up like tinder!"

*The sound of crackling fire folks the mortuary*

PGL: "Look at that! It is completely hollow, just cloth wrapped around a frame! How does it work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment