Monday 29 August 2016

J&L: Mysteries of the Macabre (8)

The Red Tavern

EH: "Professor!"

PGL: "Ellie! I've had the most singular series of occurrences today! It would appear that Mr. Erickson's mummy is in fact some sort of alien lifeform. It had in it's possession a rather ornate gemstone, which a second mummy assaulted us for. And this cove was some sort of construct,  without any visible method of operation within."

EH: "All very interesting, I'm sure. But I need to talk to you, about Jago."

PGL: "Ah yes, I was wondering where he'd gotten to. This isn't about his credit, is it? Because I'm sure I can cover any temporary..."

EH: "No Professor. He's in grave danger."

PGL: "What?! What has he gotten involved with now?"

EH: "Well, he was in here earlier. Had a notion that Mr. Galvani might be making them corpses move by some form of electrics. He went round there to do a bit of questioning."

PGL:."Alone? Oh, Jago..."

EH: "He said he wanted to confirm his suspicions before going to you."

PGL: "One of these days his headstrong nature will be his downfall. But let's hope it's not today. Maybe Galvani is a red herring, so to speak, and Henry was waylaid on his return?"

EH: "Sorry Professor. But a chap dropped this letter here for you, about twenty minutes before you arrived. Didn't get a look at his face, he wore a wide brimmed hat and a large collar."

PGL: "Show me please, Ellie."

PGL: "Dear Professor Litefoot,
It has come to my attention that you have recently procured an item that does not belong to you. Namely, a scarlet gem recovered from our mummy. In retaliation, we have procured something of yours. Namely, Henry Jago.

Should you wish the safe return of your colleague, please bring the jewel to the below address by midnight. If you show up late, without the gem, or with the constabulary, your friend will become our latest sacrifice.

We trust you will keep your silence."

EH: "Sounds grim, Professor. What do you suppose is so important about the jewel anyway?"

PGL: "Well, I believe it's fair to assume that the corpse guarding the gem is either Sutekh, or another of his kind. Presumably, it's somehow a catalyst for his resurrection, or maybe a key to his shackles. I really don't have enough information to speculate."

EH: "So, are you going to go? It's obviously a trap."

PGL: "Ellie, I would risk far more than a rapture at the hands of an Egyptian deity for the life of Henry Gordon Jago. I have to go."

EH: "And I'm with you."

PGL: "Not this time, I'm afraid. I dare not appear with anyone else. You should get Quick and be ready to follow me in after I've secured Jago's release."

EH: "I can't argue Professor. But please, be careful."

Exterior: Red Tavern

PGL: "Once more unto the breach. Steel yourself George, you'll need your nerves about you. Oh, and one other thing. If I utilise a hansom I'll have time to pop home and retrieve it. Stay strong Jago, I'm coming for you, old friend."

Cult Stronghold

HGJ: "You won't get away with any of this, you know. Mark my words, the long arm of the law will lasso you, sooner or later! I bet George won't even show up. That'll show you! Where will your fanatical following be then?"

Edmund Erickson: "Can't we just gag him? I heard enough of his prattle when he employed me!"

GG: "Let the caged bird sing, brother Edmund. He shall be silenced soon enough, but first his cry shall act as bait for our prized quarry."

EE: "Very well."

Cultist: "Master, the Professor is here."

GG: "Then bring him to us. Our lord Sutekh has been imprisoned long enough. We shall tarry no longer."

PGL: "So this is your clubhouse then? Can't say I'm overly impressed. We've defeated worse fiends with more firepower that you lot."

HGJ: "Haha, that's the spirit George. In fact, Sutekh isn't even the first God we've defeated. Just ask Wieng-Chiang!"

GG: "Such false bravado, gentlemen I'm surprised you too don't appear in front of the stage lights with top billing! The Eye of Horus, now."

PGL: "Getting tetchy will get you nowhere young man. Now, I assume this Eye is referring to this gemstone?"

GG: "The Eye! It is more glorious than the legends foretold. Give it to me!"

PGL: "Not until Jago is released!"

GG: "The gem! Or your friend will die."

HGJ: "I don't think these chaps are the kind to make idle threats."

PGL: "Very well, take your confounded gem. Just leave Jago unharmed."

GG:."It is ours, brothers! At long last, our lord is almost free. The gem nearly charged, one final ritual should provide enough life energy to bring Sutekh to us!"

EE: "And what better way to celebrate his return than sacrificing the two heathens who nearly thwarted his will? As a man of the stage Jago, you must surely appreciate the irony."

HGJ & PGL: "Corks!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment