Saturday 13 August 2016

J&L: Mysteries of the Macabre (6)

The Red Tavern

HGJ: "If it isn't the exemplary Ellie! How are you this fine afternoon, my dear?"

EH: "Alright, what is it that you want?"

HGJ: "I beg your pardon?"

EH: "You always lay the complements on thick when you're after something."

HGJ: "My dear, I shall try not to take offense at such a scurrilous slight to my good name."

EH: "You saying that you're not looking for a pint on credit? Again."

HGJ: "Thought hadn't even crossed my mind. Though, now that you mention it... I don't suppose there's any chance..."

EH: "Just the one mind. You know what your tab is like."

HGJ: "Much obliged. No, the reason I came was to seek your sound council. You see, I've developed something of a theory about our most recent investigation. But I'd like to get your opinion before I present it to Litefoot."

EH: "Fair enough. So, what are you thinking?"

HGJ: "I postulate that we cannot consider our current case in isolation. Here we are, beset by mummies, but it's not the first case with an Egyptian element."

EH: "You're right! There was that death cult recently enough, the one that the handsome Captain gave you a hand with."

HGJ: "And even that business with the sinister stone statues was linked to a photograph from Egypt."

EH: "Don't remind me!"

HGJ: "Oh yes. Right, sorry. But those frenzied fanatics were followers of a god known as Sutekh. Whom they were trying to resurrect by some manner of dark ritual."

EH: "You don't mean to say that the mummy terrorizing London is this Sutekh?!"

HGJ: "Not likely. I'd expect more pompous grandstanding and apocalyptic apocrypha from a god of destruction. Doesn't say much about his power if he can only manage a couple of backstreet murders."

EH: "Some heck of a coincidence then!"

HGJ: "Not necessarily, Ellie. Perhaps this murderous mummy is merely a macabre moniker for some other malign menace. Somebody taking advantage of the current wave of Egyptmania to further their own diabolical scheme."

EH: "I dunno, Mr. J. Seems a bit far fetched if you ask me. Who would even do such a thing, and how?"

HGJ: "It wouldn't be the first time we've encountered an enemy with designs on rising the deceased from their graves. Mr. Crow and the Necropolis Express. The Black Formosa Corruption."

EH: "Yeah, but even if you're right, who the blazes could be behind this?"

HGJ: "I can think of one chap in particular with experience of manipulating the dead into ex-mortis movement. The Great Galvani himself!"

EH: "No way! Do you have any proof?"

HGJ: "As a matter of fact, eh, no. Not really. But I did see something strange last night, outside the theatre  actually willing to display his vile show."

EH: "What were you doing wandering through that part of town?"

HGJ: "Well, I had donned a dashing disguise with the intent of discreetly handing some information to our good friend Quick. Anonymously. While I travelled home however, I realized that I had wandered near to the Apollo. Quite by chance, you understand."

EH: "I'm sure it was chance alright. And not at all an excuse to spy on Galvani's crowds."

HGJ: "Well, it never hurts to inspect the competition, my dear. But while I stood there, I thought I saw a large figure dressed oddly, out of the corner of my eye. Initially I assumed it was some sort of costumed chap popped out from backstage, until I realized, he was a mummy! Seven feet tall and round as a barrel. I tried to give chase, but the blighter must have given me the slip."

EH: "Blimey! So when do we go and have a chat with this Galvani?"

HGJ: "We? I'm sorry my dear, but I must insist you stay here."

EH: "Why, am I not good enough to accompany you? After all the times I've saved your sorry hide?"

HGJ: "Not at all Ellie. I mean no offence. I merely need you here to inform George of my suspicions. And to come to my assistance should I fail to return promptly."

EH: "So why not wait until Litefoot is here to go?"

HGJ: "Would that I could. I'm afraid to say that I'd prefer to remain here, but time is of the essence. If Galvanized is the mastermind, he may even now be covering his tracks, and if he's not.... well, Litefoot doesn't need to know about my theory."

No comments:

Post a Comment