Friday 26 August 2016

J&L: Mysteries of the Macabre (7)

The Apollo Theatre

Stagehand: "Mr. Galvani sir. Gentleman here to see you, name of Jago, Henry Gordon."

GG: "I believe you were instructed not to disturb me until tonight's show. For any reason. A performer must prepare."

Stagehand: "Sorry sir. But he's insistent sir. Won't take no for an answer."

HGJ: "No I bally well won't! Honestly, the youth of today, no manners. No room for them, you know, heads are too full of fanciful notions."

GG: "I'm sure. Now, since you managed to find your way into my office, could you kindly retrace your steps and find your way out?"

HGJ: "That quick to dismiss me, eh? I thought an experienced entrepreneur such as yourself be willing to entertain an extraordinary offer of employment."

GG:."As you can clearly see, I am already comfortably employed... Jago, was it? Of the New Regency?"

HGJ: "Ah, so you do remember me after all then."

GG: "Yes, you were the ignorant oaf of an impresario who turned down my act. 'Gruesome and grotesque' were your words, I believe."

HGJ: "Let's just say, I've had time to reconsider."

GG: "Very well. I shall entertain your little notion. But know that I am predisposed to remaining firm here. What are your terms?"

HGJ: "Whatever you're getting here, I'll double it."

GG: "My my, you are desperate, to offer such a prize so readily. Is the New Regency in such need for talent? Doesn't speak much about the quality of its proprietor."

HGJ: "Now listen here.... I mean, there's something of an ulterior motive in my generosity, truth be told."

GG: "I thought as much."

HGJ: "You see, I don't just want your act, as is. I envisage something grander, with more spectacle. Agitating amphibians is all well and good for the public for now, but soon they'll find a new dad to follow."

GG: "What are you getting at?"

HGJ: "Could you apply your talents to something larger than a frog? Some sort of mammalian motive manipulation if you will."

GG: "An interesting notion. I admit I have experimented with cats and dogs, but the audience tends to feel more revulsion when applied to more conventional animals. You know how you English are with your dogs."

HGJ: "Hmm. So you can scale your technology then. How about the scope of it though. Making a leg twitch is an amateur parlor trick, could you maybe make something walk, with suitably modulated electricity?"

GG: "My dear man, that is the realm of the Penny Dreadful. It is true that all muscular impulses are generated by biological electricity, but I cannot generate anything like the control mechanism of a brain. I can do little more than induce a random twitching!"

HGJ: "Ha! So you're saying you couldn't give a corpse the illusion of life once more? Piffle!"

GG: "What?! Preposterous, utterly preposterous! Now who is the gruesome one? I cannot even imagine how to do such a thing, let alone the indignity of defiling the dead like that."

HGJ: "Really, you mean to tell me that you have nothing to do with the current spree of mummy related murder?"

GG: "Of course not! I don't even know what you mean!"

HGJ: "But I saw a mummy lurking outside this very venue, last night fact."

GG: "Then perhaps I am to be it's next victim! Or, more likely, it was some performer from one of my warm up acts. Otherwise, your particularly vivid imagination is running rampant."

HGJ: "But.. maybe I have been a little overzealous and assumptive on my accusations."

GG: "Indeed you have. And I shall not be taking you up on your supposed offer. Just in case that wasn't clear. Now good day to you sir!"

HGJ: "Fair enough. Um. I'll see myself out."

HGJ: "Hold on a moment."

GG: "For heaven's sake, what now?"

HGJ: "I've just been admiring your keepsakes, the ones on that shelf behind you."

GG: "A collection of curiosities I picked up along my travels, nothing more."

HGJ: "It's just that dagger... the gold one with the inlaid rubies, I swear I've seen it before. Dash it, it shall trouble me all evening now."

GG: "Oh Jago. I'm so sorry."

HGJ: "Eh, for what?"

GG: "For a man who portrays himself as a bumbling fool, you really are just a tad too observant. You know what they say about curiosity..."

HGJ: "Corks!"

GG: "You remember now?"

HGJ: "The dagger... that's the weapon that the cult of Sutekh used."

GG: "The one I escaped with when you interfered in our last sacrifice. You and Litefoot delayed our plans then, but we have endured. You know, if you had just walked out of my office, you'd have lived."

HGJ: "You could still free me. Just saying."

GG: "I think not. In fact, you shall become the final sacrifice to summon Lord Sutekh from his prison. We only need the eye, and the final ceremony shall begin."

HGJ: "What eye? Explain yourself. Oof! Unhand me you bandaged blighter!"

GG: "You've already met my hired help. Osiran service robot is what he is really. Simply a construct of metal and granted mobility by my master's gifts. Prepare for his coming, Jago."

No comments:

Post a Comment