Tuesday 20 September 2016

J&L: Game, Sutekh & Match (7)

Martian Pyramid

HGJ: "How are things progressing, Doctor?"

Doctor: "Not much of an update since the last two times you've asked. Reconstructing a protonic lattice without triggering a critical implosion of the control mainframe is a tricky ask in the best of environments."

PGL: "Henry, I think it best to leave the Doctor alone for a while and let him work."

HGJ: "Right you are George. I'm sorry, it's just that I'm a man of action. My life on the stage has bred in me a certain unrest, a need to be constantly vigilant, ready to leap into a performance at a moment's notice. As a result, I'm somewhat ill at ease just waiting around."

PGL: "I understand entirely Henry. While my career as a pathologist has engendered something of a methodical aspect to my demeanor, I too find myself restless in these quiet moments during our escapades."

HGJ: "Still though, Mars. Who would have thought it? Jago and Litefoot, mightily meandering across the magnificent Martian majesty!"

PGL: "I certainly never expected us to set foot on an alien world, let alone two of them! We are particularly fortunate to have such an opportunity."

HGJ: "Intrepid explorers of exotic environments, that's us. You know, even though the fate of planet Earth hangs in the balance, I'm glad in some small way."

PGL: "Because you had the chance to experience the wonders of another world?"

HGJ: "No George. Because I was in the best of company for it all."

PGL: "Likewise Henry. Likewise."

HGJ: "Although, it's hardly worth all the bother of the travel, you know. I feel like I'd get a similar view if you gave me a can of paint and a carriage to a Welsh quarry."

PGL: "Really, Henry!"

HGJ: "All I'm saying is next time, can we face off against some fearful foe someplace nice and genteel. Like the Lake District."

PGL: "Haha, you really are the most singular individual."

Doctor: "Eureka! I think, yes! No. No no no no no! Wait, hang on, yes!"

HGJ: "Good news then Doctor?"

Doctor: "It's a bit of a rough job, but it should hold together long enough to bind Sutekh again."

PGL: "Doctor, I've just had a thought. If you first battled Sutekh in the future, shouldn't this entire structure be as it was before you first faced him? "

Doctor: "I was wondering if you'd ask that as a matter of fact. A good point, but you've got to think fourth dimensionally. The Sutekh we're fighting now is the one I trapped in a time corridor in 1911. He used that corridor to project his mind back in time. To your time. So the version of Sutekh we want to trap is the 1911 version, not the original version."

PGL: "What?! You don't mean..."

Doctor: "I do."

PGL: "This is 1911! We travelled into the future?!"

HGJ: "I don't get it."

Doctor: "It doesn't affect our strategy much, so I wouldn't worry about it Henry."

*A crackle of static fills the air*

PGL: "Oh my Lord! There, on the wall! Is it another of those viewports Doctor?"

HGJ: "It's Sutekh! How can he be here? He's supposed to be in Egypt, isn't he?"

Doctor: "It's only a transmission. Like a sort of cinematograph, only live. Well, with a two minute delay for the signal to reach Mars from Earth."

Sutekh: "Ah, Doctor, I see you and your companions have made your way to the Eye, no doubt hoping to turn it's influence upon my powers again. You are far to late, Time Lord."

Doctor: "Oh yeah, we'll see about that. There's an old Earth saying, Sutekh, an Eye for an Eye!"

Sutekh: "Even now I assume you're enacting your plan. That dreaded signal delay between our respective locations foiled my plans once before. But I, unlike you, learn from my mistakes. I sent a signal of my own, encoded in this prerecorded message."

Doctor: "No, no no. What have you done Sutekh. Thick Doctor, thick!"

HGJ: "What did he mean Doctor?"

Doctor: "He encoded a sort of malware into his transmission. Basically, he's taken remote control of the Eye of Horus, and I can't manually bypass the controls!"

PGL: "So this machine is controlled by Sutekh now."

Doctor: "There was something else hidden too. Some kind of repeating signal. Oh... Oh! That is fiendishly clever... Terrible, but clever. He's created a transmat loop!"

PGL & HGJ: "What?!"

*An energy hum signals the activation of the transmat. The pyramid is silent once more*

No comments:

Post a Comment