Tuesday 11 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (10)

The gathered Vakarians fanned out in the courtyard, forming a circle of about 25ft in diameter, with me and the commander at its centre. Dave and Susan cheered for me from a small section of the perimeter closest to our apartment. The commander raised his blade vertically, holding it inches from his face, a motion which I copied, assuming it was some form of pre-battle ritual. We each backed away from the centre in opposing directions until there was a gap of 10ft between us. All the while our eyes remained locked, neither trusting the other not to make a surprise move. The gathered crowd began chanting some kind of war cry, and the commander beat his chest to the rhythm. For my part, I signaled my friends to be quiet. Let them have their ritual, but we were not to embarrass ourselves with such a display.

My foe raised a fist and the chanting ceased abruptly. With a final roar, the battle had begun. He came at me with his blade low, swinging with an uppercut. I managed to block his attack with my own blade, but was still staggered backwards by the ferocity of his blow. Pressing his advantage, he attacked again and again, a curious flurry of strikes that I barely managed to deflect. He was stronger than his rank and file brethren, this I expected. But I had not accounted for his increased speed. He possessed a finesse and grace to his movements that none I had fought against before had displayed. This was a mistake, there was no way I could defeat this creature. Before me stood a true warrior, skilled and deadly whereas I wasn't even particularly fit. With another roar, he came at me from the upper left, blade diving towards me. I raised my shield in defense, which buckled under the attack. Such was the force of his swing that my shield cracked in two, roughly down the middle. I shrugged the now useless timber from my arm, slipping out of the straps that held it in place.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Sue start to rush to my side, but I stopped her with a shake of my head. If anyone interfered now, the duel would end, and we'd be screwed. Although, I was already screwed either way, fighting an opponent quicker and stronger than me, without my advantage of a shield. I felt like giving up to be honest. I didn't have a hope, all my efforts would only prolong the inevitable. Sound and fury signifying nothing. My grip loosened on my blade, until my thoughts turned to the Dave. And Sue. And the apartment full of terrified students behind me. Steeling myself, I renewed my grip, now using both hands. The Vakarian commander smiled at my bravery, before raising his blade to his mouth. His thick, purple tongue snaked from his mouth, and licked the edge of his sword. Thick viscous dark blood ran along the blade, and dripped along his chin. His smile returned as he sheathed his tongue, clearly enjoying the taste of his own lifeblood.

The battle began again, his onslaught more fierce, high as he was from thrill of battle. Once again, I was on the defensive, struggling to beat off his attacks. There was only one advantage left for me to utilize, I could outsmart him. We locked blades again, as he attempted to intimidate with a wicked stare. Sensing an opportunity, I lashed out with my right leg, striking him in the side of the knee with my heel. He staggered backwards, incensed, but with a noticeable limp. He unleashed himself upon me once again, though his attacks were less focused now, more random as he lost his wits to bloodlust and retribution. This creature was unused to losing, unaccustomed to genuine challenge. Twice more, I dozed his wild swings and grazed his limbs with a flick of my blade. Death by a thousand cuts, I thought, wryly.

The crowd was beginning to sour as they sensed the outcome of the battle. With a final flourish, I rolled under a particularly telegraphed attack and rammed my sword into my foe's back. He slumped to his knees, as life drained away. I proclaimed myself the champion, and urged the Vakarians to honour the terms of combat. One of them indicated at the golden device attached to the belt of their former commander, and said it would take me to their leader. I struggled to resist reacting to the cliche. Sue raced to my side as I retrieved the device, with Dave not far behind. The metal was oddly cool to the touch.
"We're not staying here while you go swanning off in space" she urged.
"In for a  penny" sighed Dave.
"Prepare for the unknown" I cautioned, as I pressed the button, hoping I could trust the Vakarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment