Thursday 6 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (7)

Sarah's negativity was infectious. There was no point attempting to resist, to fight back against the Vakarians, because there was no victory to be had. Even if we liberated our planet, it would be decades before any sense of normality would return. Honestly, I was fit to give up right there and then. But as I glanced around the room, my eyes met with Susan's. Her eyes remained bright and joyful, despite everything. She still saw hope, even now. Then, her eyes narrowed, my thoughts betrayed by my face. Her glare frightened me more than extinction itself. If I gave up now I'd have her to reckon with.

I found my reason to fight. Renewed with vigour, I leapt to my feet. "Sarah! Stop. There is a point to fighting, of course there is. We are alive, all of us here. And as long as we are alive, there is hope. We are not beaten until every single one of us is dead. No sooner! Indomitable, that's us! We fight for each other, for the ones we care about. We protect them so they can protect us. Together, we win!"
"I... I needed that." Sarah stammered through mild tears.
"C'mon" said Tony, leading her over to the sofas, casually slipping his arm over her shoulder as they walked.

"Well." Dave stated, ignoring the drama before him. "We still have to discuss weapons."
"Tony and I have acquired Vakarian blades. Plus the one you killed makes three. What about the MedRen gear in the closet?"
"Most of those are dulled play swords but I've already taken out the three sharp 'action' blades. And the archery gear." stated Susan.
"Grand job. Sarah and I shall take the bows, and the MedRen blades as insurance." Said Dave.
"That leaves the third Vakarian sword for you Susan." I added.

We spent the next... about... Well, it's hard to judge time without a clock, but it was certainly early evening and at least an hour had passed in silence. We were all preparing for the coming fight in our own ways. Dave was humming TV theme tunes, Tony & Sarah were cuddled on the couch like it was date night, while Sue and I were polishing and sharpening the blades.
"By the way" said Sue, after a time. "I'd like you to have this." She presented me with a small leather bundle. As I unraveled it, I discovered that it contained a small, ornate dagger, about the length of a pencil and as wide as a ruler.
"It was a present. From my grandfather." She explained. "His way of keeping me safe from drunken boys at parties."
"But why are you?" I asked, unsure.
"I think you know. Or I hope you do. But also because if any of us is going to do something foolish enough to need it, that somebody will be you."
I was unsure of what to say, I wasn't accustomed to receiving gifts from women, not to mention women I fancied.
"Thanks. Thank you, deeply." I stuttered, leaning in to embrace her. She shrugged off my advances and got quickly to her feet.
"Sorry if I misread the situation...." I began to apologize before being shushed by her.
"No, look!" She hissed, pointing out of the window. I followed her finger with my gaze, looking out towards the college buildings we had escaped earlier today. There, along the footbridge and continuing back further still was a veritable horde of Vakarians. They strode in loose formation, lacking military precision but certainly more organized than a rabble. On the near side of the bridge, leading the advance was a Vakarian clad only in animal furs, wearing no significant armour. His blade was larger than the others, a masterwork of smithing. He had all the bearings of a leader.

Susan and I spurred the others into action. Rapidly, we took our weapons and manned our positions. Tony and I would man the barricade on the stairwell, with Sue ready to relieve us when required. Dave and Sarah would fire from the apartment windows, thinning the ranks before they arrived. There was only time for a few final words of encouragement. "Well folks, time to put our plan to the test. Let's should these Vakarian vagabonds the true strength of the human race. They think they can crush us underfoot without a thought, to service their tough guy ego. We're here to burst their bubble. Now, who's ready to kick some alien arse?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment