Wednesday 5 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (5)

We ventured tentatively from our lab, checking each of the rooms we passed for survivors or more Vakarians. In the distance, we could hear screaming. As we approached the main stairwell at the centre of the building, the true horror was revealed to us. We stood on the fourth floor, staring down at a battle in the foyer. I say battle, it was really more of a slaughter. Students and staff were flocking to the main doors of the building, but they were only so wide. The halls could get thronged between lectures, so in a stampede of a panicked evacuation, they were totally inadequate. Several Vakarians were at the edges of the group, hacking indiscriminately at the mass of people. Some of the braver students tried to fight back, swinging improvised weapons at their attackers, but the Vakarians had the advantage of reach, skill and mobility.

I wanted to run down and help. I really did. But there were at least eight visible Vakarians, not to mention those on the floors below me that I couldn't see. We'd gotten lucky disarming one. Even with a proper weapon there was no way I could take on all of them, especially as Tony didn't have a sword. With a heavy heart, I pulled myself away from the balcony.
"We have to find another way out." I sighed.
"But, those people..."
"If we go down there, we'll get ourselves killed, and we're no good to anyone as martyrs. We need a place to regroup, gather our forces and attack from."
"You want a fort?!"
"I was thinking more of a castle actually."
"Castlewhite? Really, you want to fortify our apartment?"
"No, I want to fortify the whole complex. No come on. Quietly."

Trying not to think about the massacre below us, we made our way to the third floor. There was a sky-bridge there that linked our building with the biology department across the road. It was currently closed for repairs, but really, a bit of red & white cordoning wasn't going to stop us. We entered the biology building without incident. Evidently, word had spread across to this building before the Vakarians had. There were no signs of battle, but every lecture hall we passed had been abandoned in a hurry. Books and bags still piled up on desks. It had a feel of the Marie Celeste about it. We made it to the main doors of the building without spotting a soul. From here it was a quick sprint across the carpark to the footbridge that lead into our apartment complex. I hoped that Susan and the others were OK. I didn't know if I could continue the fight if she was lost. As I was distracted, it was Tony who first saw the Vakarian  crossing our path.

"Oi, Arven. At your two o'clock." he hissed. There wasn't enough time to hide before it would spot us, so I held my blade aloft instead, inviting it to a challenge.
"Are you crazy?!" yelled Tony.
"They set the rules of this invasion, not me. I'm just playing along."
"Oho!" snarled the Vakarian. "This one's different. There's fire in him."
I stood my ground firmly, praying that I wasn't shaking visibly as much as I felt like on the inside
"Now, I'd like to issue some terms for our duel." I proffered, hoping to get some more answers from this Vakarian. It was less than effective.
"No terms. We fight. To the death. Winner lives." It grunted, raising it's sword too.
"Very well then. Lay on, McDuff."

I swing the first blow, a high diagonal slash, that he deftly countered, ramming the hilt of his blade into my chest for good measure. I stumbled back winded, through Tony grabbed me to keep me upright. The Vakarian pressed his advantage, and all I could do was stay defensive, blocking his attacks. Like the one I fought earlier, he was quite slow however. I waited for an opportunity, then, as he unleashed a thrusting blow, I sidestepped and brought my blade around, slicing his forearm. The blow was dulled by his armour, but it still drew a surprising amount of blood. The Vakarian snarled in anger.
"What's wrong? Underestimate the little human? In our culture, to underestimate an opponent is to dishonour them."
"Watch your tongue, human. Do not think to lecture a Vakarian on his honour. Your kind know nothing of such things."
"I know enough to see your philosophy is blatantly hypocritical."
"Enough words. We duel for honour!"

The Vakarian came at me again, with only one hand on his sword. The damaged arm hung limply, though it did not seem to impair his ability. We locked blades, glaring into each others eyes, when he kicked me in the stomach. I flew backwards, into the wall of the biology building, clattering into some bins. They were the old fashioned, cylindrical metal bins, which gave me an idea. Vakarians only dealt with close range combat, with minimal defenses as far as I had seen. So the wouldn't be used to shields either. I grabbed the lid from one of the fallen bins, and engaged my enemy. Almost immediately, I noticed the advantage. If I blocked with my shield, I had the chance to attack him, while if I blocked with my sword, it gave me a window to bash his damaged arm with the lid. It wasn't long before I stuck my blade into his side, felling him.

I stood back from the corpse before me, panting. "Well... there's your.... weapon...." I said, through ragged breathing. "You can take the next one Tony."

No comments:

Post a Comment