Tuesday 18 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (Epilogue)

I raced down the stairs of the Elysian, and out into the city streets. All around me people obliviously went about their beautifully ordinary lives. I ran past a mother and her screaming children, a dog defacing public property, an irate driver stuck in traffic. It was bizarre, seeing every little thing I had once taken for granted returned as if it had never changed. As far as these people were concerned, it hadn't. But I didn't have time to spend admiring strangers. I had to know, we're my friends alright? Was Susan?

I ran all the way back to my complex, so I was out of breath and sweating profusely as I entered the courtyard. It was back to its usual dirty, but distinct not post apocalyptic, appearance. No broken windows, battered doors or hastily fortified barricades in sight. In the distance, I saw Dave and Tony, arguing about something trivial as they walked towards our apartment. I've never been so pleased to see that man in all my life, to be frank. As I stared at the pair, Sarah ran to join them as they entered. The gang was here, all except Susan....

I turned around, looking towards her apartment. Hoping to see any sign of life. If she didn't make it, nobody would ever know what happened. As far as the world at large is concerned, she'd just have vanished one day, never to be found. While I was busy considering hypotheticals, I nearly missed a figure exiting from the tower doorway. It was Susan! She had survived, her last ditch plan was a success. Without thinking, I rushed over to her.
"You've alive!" I yelled, slightly too close to her face for comfort.
"Good morning to you too." She responded, clearly concerned at the sweaty panting man shouting at her.
"I mean, you're looking particularly full of life today.." I stuttered, just making everything more awkward.
"Right..." she said warily. "Are we still on for D&D this evening?"
"Yeah. Course." I smiled. Everything was back to normal, and I was a love struck fool too shy to say anything. Perfect!

No, not perfect. If I'd learned anything during my ordeal over the past few days, it was that life is precious, and must be lived to its fullest daily. Enjoy what moments you can, because who knows what might happen in the future?
"Sue." I asked, mustering as much courage as I could. "I was wondering, do you maybe want to grab a coffee, or something? You know, just the two of us... alone... like?
"Sorry, I've got to meet some friends for lunch."
Damn. Curse my foolishness, it wasn't going to work. Of course it wouldn't, not without the catalyst of peril to galvanize me...
"But I'm free all day tomorrow? I know a lovely little spot by the river. It's meant to be quite... romantic." She continued!
My heart leapt! I could barely contain my excitement as I stammered an affirmative to her suggestion. A date, with Susan! That wasn't so difficult, why was I ever worried? But what would I wear? Who pays, I pay  she pays, we split the bill? Would it be awkward..........

To get my mind off of the myriad trivial questions running through my mind, I went back to the Elysian to visit the roof again. I needed somewhere to think. Besides, there was still some alien tech loose up there that needed sorting. As I emerged, I found the scout craft was gone. I began looking around, as if I thought it was merely hiding on me. There, to the side, stood a lean figure of a man dressed in a military coat, scanning the city with his beady glare. Without looking at me, he spoke aloud with an American accent.
"This roof is occupied kid. Find your own play to brood elegantly."
"Who are you? What are you doing here?"
"I could ask you the same kid." He said, playfully while walking towards me.
"I asked first."
"If that's how you want to play it... Name's Captain Jack Harkness, Torchwood. I've been tracking some residual temporal signals, that seemed to emanate from this general area. Don't suppose you'd know anything about that?"

What was Torchwood exactly? And who was this guy, could he be trusted? I didn't see any point in being vague to him either way.
"That's probably due to the Vakarians and their paradox engines."
"Wow. I've never heard of Vakarians, but I have met a man with a paradox engine before. Nasty business, as I'm sure you'll agree. Back when I was in the time agency, I even saw someone rig up one to cure a hangover."
"Did it work?" I asked, intrigued.
"Kind of. But he messed up and it aged him 40 years in a day. Ouch. So, you managed to stop these Vakarians all by yourself? I'm impressed."
"I had some help from my friends. Even though they won't remember it."
"Messing with time can screw you like that. I'm guessing the Vakarians were responsible for the pod that was up here?"
"Yeah. What did you do with it?"
"I've had it taken back to our Hub for analysis. Don't worry, we'll be careful with it. It's kind of our job."

"What job is that?"
"Defending the Earth from aliens, monsters and other rift activities. The 21St century is particularly rife with such anomalies. The world is changing, and we've got to be ready."
"Like UNIT then?"
"We're a bit more freelance. In fact, we're actually looking to hire someone. I've got my hands full with the new and improved Cardiff team, and the rift here in Cork is becoming volatile for some reason. I could do with someone skilled keeping an eye out here."
"And you want me?"
"Why not? You have experience with this sort of thing. Think of it as a trial run."
"Is there pay?"
"The thrill of the job is reward enough. Sorry, couldn't resist. Yeah, we provide a comfortable wage along with a number of nifty little toys to help you along. What do you say, kid?"
It was a lot to take in, bit my decision was obvious. With the resources of Torchwood, I could fulfil my self appointed mission of defending Cork, and I wouldn't have to do it alone.
"I'm in."
"Never doubted you kid. Now, I'd love to stay and chat but Gwen is having a nightmare of a day between Rhys and some Weevils in Waterstones, so I've got to go. I'll be in touch."

With a smirk and a wink, he tapped a leather device strapped to his wrist and vanished. What a badass, I thought to myself. Torchwood Cork had a nice ring it, this could be the start of something big. Before I could think of that future though, something else came up. As Jack beamed away, something formed in his place. Accompanied by an all too familiar sound, a blue police box appeared on the roof. A figure stepped out, but it was not the Doctor I was familiar with. He told me he could change his face, but it was bizarre to see the results. This Doctor was much older than my Doctor, with grey hair and a grim expression instead of the flouncey hair and gormless beaming of mine. As he emerged, he spoke in a gruff tone.
"I've picked up some temporal interference from these coordinates. I don't suppose you know anything about it?"
"Doctor?" I asked...
"Don't call me that!" He barked. "I don't go by that name. Not anymore!"

No comments:

Post a Comment