Sunday 2 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (3)

"So, let's analyse the situation. Rationally. Like scientists." I said calmly. If we could break down the problem into small manageable steps, we might just get through unscathed.
"Here are the facts: All of our electronic devices are defunct. We don't know how localized this phenomenon is."
"Don't forget the weird noise!" Tony exclaimed.
"And the noise. First Thing's first. We scout out the building, see how far this tech drain has spread."

Tony volunteered to bravely go into the hallway and see if there was anyone else on our floor. I watched him pull the door of our lab open, stare silently for a few seconds, before quickly but quietly shutting it again. He turned to me, his face pale and expressionless.
"There's a thing in the hall." he whispered.
"What kind of thing?" I replied, walking over to get a better look. Tony shushed me angrily and pointed at the glass window of the door. Then I saw it too. A huge, brutish figure, standing 2 metres tall and patrolling the hallway. It's skin was a dark red, almost burgundy. It's face was slightly pointed, like a wolf, with two short tusks jutting from its bottom jaw. Partially hidden by its matted black hair were the nubs of a pair of horns. The creature was clad in light armour, seemingly made from the hide of an animal, and it carried a brutal blade; hefty enough to bludgeon like a broadsword, sharp enough to cut like a katana and curved like a scimitar for versatility.

"Oh my God!" cried Tony softly. "A devil! I should have payed more attention at mass."
"Firstly, sermons aren't like demon self defense lessons. Second, it's not a bloody demon. It's an alien." I countered.
"Alien?!"
"Yes. Now we're don't have time to sit around and discuss things. Suffice to say, it's an alien. I've met aliens, I know what I'm talking about."
"Those crappy sci fi flicks you watch don't count. Aliens my arse!" scoffed Tony.
"Hey, makes as much sense as demons, doesn't it. And if you ever, ever, ridicule the early work of Ridley Scott again, I will end you myself." Even though we were in the middle of an invasion, there's no excuse for insulting genre classics.

"Fine. Alien thing. What do we do?" asked a resigned Tony.
"Barricade the door! Now!" I snapped, as I put my weight into keeping the door shut.
"And trap ourselves in? Why the hell would we do that?"
"Because, it's spotted us you idiot! Move!"
The alien invader was walking purposefully towards us, twirling its blade in anticipation. I could make out the details of its face now, the corners of its mouth were curled up in a hideous grin. It's teeth were bared, I couldn't tell if it was a display of menace or mirth, but I figured both were accurate. The alien was close enough to touch now. It raised a keg and began to pound on the door, kicking at the lacquered wood. It was strong, ferociously strong. Each kick seemed like a trivial effort to it, yet to took our combined weight to keep the door closed.

"We need a new plan!" yelled Tony.
"Well, I'm open to ideas." I yelled back.  "Why must I always be the ideas man?"
"Really, you want to do this now?"
"Honestly no. Luckily I have a plan. Bit you won't like it."
The alien was growing tired of our struggle, he raised his blade and thrust it into the door. We both dove backwards as the blade penetrated the door as if it were silk, stabbing the area we had stood moments before. It kicked in the door as Tony and I scrambled behind the front row of desks. I started to fill him in on my plan.
"I'll distract our new friend, while you race to the chemistry lab at the far end of the hall. Grab some liquid nitrogen there should be a few flasks in storage."
"Isn't that stuff locked up though?"
Bloody Tony always had to be walked through everything. Not an ounce of original thought in that head.
"Yeah, locked by a swipe system. Which defaults to unlocked when the batteries die."
"How are you going to distract it?"
"Don't worry about that. It is my density! Now go as soon as its clear!"

I dove into the corner of the room, grabbing the staff of density as I got to my feet. The alien's tongue slipped from behind it's pointed teeth and ran across it's cracked kips in anticipation. It was dying for a fight, that much was obvious. We stood, facing each other with weapons drawn for a few moments. Eventually, it nodded at me in a sort of bowing gesture. I reciprocated the gesture hesitantly, trying to figure out its thought process. It was an invader sure, but seemed to have certain rules, or code of battle. I didn't have time to speculate on the complexities of a warrior caste however. It raised its sword and lunged at me. Just behind it, I noticed Tony slip away and out of the lab.

Suddenly, the alien and it's weapon were bearing down on me. It was all I could do to raise my metallic rod in self defense, and deflect it's savage blow. Again, I marvelled at the raw power I could feel in it's strike. If not for sheer adrenaline, I wouldn't have been able to hold firm. It struck again and again, a flurry of death aimed at me. Each time I raised the staff again, and each time it hit my whole body felt the impact. On strength alone, I had no hope of winning, or even holding out very long. However, his strikes were slow, and predictable. As long as I kept moving, I could just about dance about his, avoiding his attacks. Although I was painfully aware that doing so would tire me out all the sooner.

With a thunderous bellow, it switched its attack to a two handed  sweeping swing. I was already losing focus, my stance wasn't perfect. I managed to get the rod between me and it's blade, just about, but the force was enough to knock me to the ground. The rod went flying away from me, clattering to the ground. I scrambled to my feet, and scurried behind a desk. I didn't have long left now, I knew I wouldn't last long playing cat and mouse with a trained alien warrior. The creature was pushing desks away towards the walls of the room. I was running out of places to hide. I admonished myself. Who was I to think I could defend Cork from the rift when I can't even battle a single soldier? The creature was looming over me now, preparing to strike, it's back to the door. I stared at the spectre of death standing over me, and smiled.
"I'm sorry you got such a cold reception."

The alien howled in pain, as thick white smoke billowed from its back. Leaning to the side I could see Tony, having just emptied the contents of a flask upon the creature. It had dropped it's weapon, and was ineffectually clawing at its back, in distress as the hyper cold substance burned into its flesh. Seizing my opportunity, I picked up the alien sword and held it against the invader's neck. It was time that we found out the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment