Tuesday 4 October 2016

TW Casefiles: The Never-War (4)

"Now, you'll tell us how many of you there are, and why you're doing this." I ordered, hoping that the creature could understand me. The TARDIS could automatically translate alien languages telepathically and I hoped that this effect had lingered on me. It spoke in a low growl, through teeth gritted in pain.
"I fought with honour, human. Kill me quickly, with dignity."
I was prepared for it to be hostile, violent in it's struggle for freedom, but it lay there, defeated and awaiting death.
"I don't want you dead." I said. "I want to know why you're here."
"You have defeated me. End my life or I shall die without honour, never to dine with the shining gods."
I was getting nowhere with his fanatical logic. Another approach was required.

"Alright then. I give you my word. Answer my questions and you will die a warrior's death. Fail to answer me, and you will find no dignity in your demise." I said, hoping this would allow him to circumvent apparent code of honour.
"I... accept..." the creature wheezed.
"Alrighty then. Firstly, who and what are you?"
"We are... Vakarian."
"OK, now we're getting somewhere, eh Tony?" Tony was currently cowering in a corner, facing me while regretting every life choice that had led to this moment. In his defense, this was not the ideal scenario in which to meet an alien. Then again, what would be?

I turned back to the alien to continue the interrogation.
"So, you're a Vakarian. From some warrior caste, no doubt. Why are you invading Earth?"
"We traverse the stars, to prove our strength. To test our skill."
"But why here, why this city, this place?"
"We didn't invade this city. We wage war on your planet."
The shock nearly caused me to drop the sword. This had happened planet wide! Even without the alien soldiers, a worldwide loss of technology on this case would set back mankind's progress by decades. Millions would die from the initial wipe out alone, not to mention the ongoing lack of medical care, transportation, access to services, and the anarchy that would ensue.
"Why the EMP?" I yelled, louder than I  necessarily should. "Why doom out planet either way?"
"We must ensure you fight with honour, by our code. Your technological weapons would be cheating. Honour comes from fighting face to face, such that the greater warrior may prevail."
"That's it?! That's your grand scheme? Intergalactic bullies looking to start a fight! You are not honourable, the game is rigged in your favour from the start! You choose to invade, without warning or time for us to prepare. You fight with students and scientists, not our soldiers or military, and you take away our primary methods of defense!"

I gripped the blade tighter, barely controlling my rage. Day one, and I'd failed to protect anyone. Along came the Vakarians, and Earth was irrevocably damaged. So much for climate change, nuclear weapons or solar flares, looks like the world would end by the actions of idiotic meat headed warmongers with blinkered vision. I always assumed that Trump or Farage  would have held that role, honestly.
"You do not deserve the respect I show you, I do this only to prove that humanity is superior to you, and we actually have honour."
I raised the blade above me, and swung in down upon the Vakarian's neck, severing the head. I grimaced as I struck, as despite my righteous fury, I had still claimed a life. I had killed for vengeance, not through self defense. But now was not the time for morbid introspection. An image of Susan appeared in my mind. I had to warn her, and all of my friends before it was too late. Assuming it wasn't already too late.

I turned back to face Tony and held out my hand to help him back his feet. As he rose, I held him towards my chest and patted his back in solidarity. I could feel him trembling as I did so. The poor guy was likely in shock. It's not easy to take the news that your civilisation is screwed in good spirits. Definitely not when you're already rapidly altering your grasp on reality and your insignificance in the grand scheme of things.
"Hey, chin up partner." I said, concerned. "There's a fight ahead of us, sure. But we've got to win."
"Why?!" Cried Tony, hysterically, pushing me away. "What's the point? We're screwed anyway."
"Listen to me. As long as we still draw breath, humanity stands. And if we stand, we can fight. If we fight, we can win. But only if we stand. You hear me?" I was stern, trying to make my words sound like I meant them, even though I doubted them myself.
"We can always rebuild, recover, renew ourselves. The one thing we can't do is let the Vakarians get away with what they've done. Even if the only thing we do is stop them from landing on the next planet, we have to end this terror here."
My words were hollow, but they seemed to put Tony at ease.
"You're right." he whispered. "You're right! Oh God! I've been too busy feeling sorry to realise, Sarah and the gang are out there. We have to find them!"
"Grab the remaining cans of nitrogen, and the staff of density. I'll lead as I have the sword. First Vakarian I kill, you can take their weapon. As an old friend would say, there's a word that perfect in times of stress, for reassurance and the consolation of the soul..."
"And that would be?"
"Allons-y!"

No comments:

Post a Comment