Friday 4 March 2016

J&L: Curse of the Pharaoh (2)

"So, how about you, Professor? Shall we ingurgitate another rewarding round of libationary liquids?"
"Henry, it's most unlike you to offer to buy a round so freely! I dare not refuse such an invitation, lest I never see the like again."
"Dashed cheek! I've half a mind to retract my offer. Ellie, two more thirst quenching tankards of your finest half & half. We're celebrating my recent signing of a most potentially promising presentation at the New Regency"
"Coming right up, Mr. J. But you'll get the same ale I serve to all my customers."
"So, things are picking up at the theatre, I take it. You've finally found a suitable replacement for Madame Mystique and her Amazing Parakeets?"
"George, a mongrel standing on its hind legs barking 'Rule Britania' would be a suitable replacement for those bothersome birds. The parakeets were pestilential too, of course."
"Indeed, so what exactly is the nature of your new act?"
"The Effulgent Edmund Erkson and his Exotic Egyptian Exhibits! His extensive experience of Egyptian exploration will educate and entertain!"
"An educational act? How novel. Does the chap recall his archaeological adventures to the crowds? I wouldn't have thought the New Regency's usual clientele would go in for such a show..."
"Ah, well, they don't. It mostly consists of dancing girls in appropriate attire, dancing in Egyptian style. With a few perfunctory acts of prestidigitation, and songs from 'The Charming, Crystal-Voiced Cleopatra, and her Choir of Chirping Canaries'"
"Does this Edmund chap have any experience with archaeological endeavours?"
"Well, I gather he is a close friend of a young archaeologist, name of Howard Carter. He claims to have accompanied Dr. Carter on several of his early expeditions, though he has remained only an enthusiastic amateur himself"
"Is any of ANY of his act accurate or grounded in historical fact?"
"Er, that depends. I don't suppose 'Darling Duckie Do' has its origins in hieroglyphics?"
"Let me guess, this 'Cleopatra' is portrayed by the same young girl as Madame Mystique too?"

"Oh, right on time with those drinks Ellie! You've saved my proverbial bacon."
"Not for the first time, I 'aven't. Oh, Professor, Inspector Quick left a message for you. 'E wants you to meet 'im first thing tomorrow at the mortuary. An unusual corpse was found this evening, I gather, and 'e would like your 'elp starting an investigation."

"Thank you Ellie. Much obliged. I'd best make tracks for home soon, if I'm needed in the morning. But first, I have a pint that requires drinking, and a question that requires answering, Jago. You can't escape my investigative inquisitiveness that easily!"
"Corks!"

Meanwhile, in the Docklands, a steamer was preparing to set sail for the Mediterranean. Smoke from its three parallel chimneys mingled into the dense fog hovering over London. All around, dockhands were shouting and scurrying, hauling the last of the cargo aboard, untying guideropes and mooring lines, and preparing to make voyage. It's cargo: equipment and personnel for the largest British archaeological expedition yet organised for Egypt. At the toot of the main gangplank, two well dressed gentlemen were deep in jovial conversation, preparing to say farewell.
"Such a shame I can't join you this time, Howard. But it's about time I earned some honest money!"
"Most definitely a shame, my friend. But, dear Edmund, I shall return within 2 short years, with a treasure trove of historical material. Enough to keep your act on the stage for decades. My work will drive the public's desire for Egyptian entertainment skywards!"
"You always were an optimist. And, an ambitious cove! It's served you well."
"Same to you, Edmund. Your stagecraft is impeccable, your silver tongue could charm even the most hostile native! Here, I have a parting gift for you. It's a photograph from my last trip to Egypt. I think you'll find the subject matter most unusual."
"Is, is that a statue? Surely it can't be authentic! It's a statue of an angel. A Christian angel!"
"I know! And that particular winged depiction was not thought to be prevalent until the 4th century! This could potentially rewrite world and religious history!"
"Are you sure it's authentic? It could have been placed there much more recently."
"The chamber it was found in was still sealed. It hadn't been touched for hundreds of years. I'm sure. You must not breath a word of this to anyone though. Not until we perform some follow-up investigation. Keep the photo though. To remind you of me."
"Look at its face! So angry, so violent. Perhaps it was a sort of warning symbol, or totem to ward off evil."
"Hold on. Angry? I could have sworn it was smiling in the picture... Come to think, I seem to recall it's face was covered in the tomb."
"Clearly, the desert sun has addled your mind, Howard! You of all people know the tricks that the oppressive heat can play. Head aboard, get some rest. You're addled with all the excitement. I'll write to you soon"
"Farewell, my friend."
"Safe voyage!"

As Howard ascended towards the deck of he ship, Edmund took another glance at the photo, shook his head, and placed it into his breast pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment