Thursday 24 March 2016

Torchwood: Origins (8)

An object closely resembling a metal dentists couch emerged from the floor. The Daleks insisted that I lie on the device, and then fastened metal bracelets around my limbs, locking me in place. The Doctor stood nearby, still trying to convince me to change my mind.

"Doctor, please. It's my decision. I have this information in my head. Ever since we arrived here, it's been burning in my mind. I can't focus, and it's getting worse. I need this to stop. Besides, if there's even a slight chance that the Daleks might change, or to sooth your guilt. I need to do this."

"But, the Matrix is too large for a human mind to contain when the data is uncompressed. The process will probably fry your brainstem. I can't let that happen to a friend. Not again."

"Doctor, it's my life against Gallifrey."

"No, it's your life against maybe Gallifrey, and maybe restarting the war. I ended it once, I can't do it again."

"It's OK, Doctor. I suppose, I've always felt like I was out of place, like I didn't belong, like I had some purpose that I couldn't place."

"That doesn't mean you should throw your life away for something like this!"

"SILENCE DOCTOR. THE EXTRACTION SHALL BEGIN."

"Please, no. Just stop. The Daleks are finished. It's just you, as I'm the last Time Lord. It's over, time marches on. I know that more than most. This won't bring any of them back. The data will likely just be inconclusive, you'll still be in doubt, and yet another innocent will die because of this war. If you really think your time has passed. If your doubts are genuine, you'll stop. Just think!"

"I DO NOT... I MUST TRY. IT IS THE IMPERATIVE OF MY RACE. DALEKS SURVIVE. DALEKS CONQUER AND DESTROY. THE DALEKS MUST ENDURE."

"IT IS FUTILE. WE ARE THE LAST TWO DALEKS. EVEN IF MORE EXIST ELSEWHERE, WE HAVE FAILED. OUR FLEET IS DESTROYED.  WE ARE WEAK. WE ARE NOT DALEKS, WE ARE NOT SUPREME BEINGS."

"BLASPHEMY! INSUBORDINATION WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. TRAITORS TO THE DALEK EMPIRE MUST BE EXTERMINATED!"

"EXTERMINATE!"

The two Daleks had turned on each other. I struggled with my restraints while they dueled across the command room. Stray energy blasts from their cannons flew throw the air, hitting vital equipment, and luckily, missing me and The Doctor. He ran to my side, have crouching in a vain effort to protect himself. With a flick of his Sonic, I was freed from my restraints. With the two Daleks concentrating on each other, we ran back to the TARDIS. As we ran, alarms and siren's began yo sound across the ship. The Daleks stray fire must have damaged some critical components. We had barely sealed ourselves inside the police box when we felt the saucer rip apart in nuclear fury.

The Doctor stood at the TARDIS controls, resolute. While he refused to say it, he had lost the last hope of finding out if his people survived. He was more alone now than ever, now that he had been teased with forbidden data.

"Doctor, the Matrix is still in my head. If you wanted to inspect it."
"No."
"But, without the Daleks, you'll be the only one who knows. If the Time Lords survived, it will be your secret."
"No. I'm not sacrificing you. All of Gallifrey isn't worth another innocent death."
With a deep sigh, a sigh fueled by centuries of regret, he aimed his Screwdriver at me.

I woke up at home several hours later. There was a note on my bedside locker.

Arven,
I have inverted the compression algorithm on the data. It has shrunk the information spacing to a sub quantum level. The Matrix is lost, and should never interfere with you again.

I have dropped you home, on the same day we left. This adventure has reminded me why I travel alone. I put you in a situation where you were willing to die to sooth my conscience. I have to stop placing the people I care about in danger.

Your partner in time,
The Doctor

So, I was back on Earth. I'd had my eyes opened to the depths of the universe, and had that ripped away. I knew how dangerous the universe could be, and I vowed from then on that I would devote myself to defending my home from such dangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment