Wednesday 23 March 2016

Torchwood: Origins (6)

The TARDIS vworped its way through the swirling expanse of the Time Vortex. At last, we would receive answers, at last I would find out who had orchestrated my torment. Doubt wracked my mind however, did I really want to know? Ever since the encounter with the captain, I'd had a headache, like a sinus pain. An aching pressure behind my eyes, like my skull was being forced apart.

I feared it might be the information stored within my mind by unknown forces. Perhaps the data was decrypting naturally, as the captain had suggested. Or, maybe proximity to our destination was upsetting the storage method. I  was just entertaining the notion that it might be some kind of ear worm, some meme like phenomenon where the more I considered it, the stronger it felt. The Doctor insisted that this theory was nonsense, it was "all in my head". I didn't appreciate his choice of words.

The next thing I remember is staring at the domed ceiling of the TARDIS, with The Doctor's concerned face looming over my own. Apparently, I had passed out just as we landed, though I'd only been out of it for about a minute. I had vague recollections of images and sounds, fragments like shrapnel rattling around my head. Some, I remembered from my brief glimpse into The Doctor's mind. A red button, a grave & bearded man, a scream, countless screams, death & hellfire, silence. Other images were of human sized metal tanks, a city encased in crystal, figures in scarlet and gold headdress, urgent meetings and desperate pleas. The more I tried to focus, the further from my mind they receded. The Doctor helped me to my feet. He looked at me with those ancient eyes, silently asking if I was OK.
"Whatever happens, I need answers. I need to know. To quote a phrase, Doctor, Allons-y!"

In the void of space, a saucer hung silent and unmoving. Lit by no sun, it was discernable only by the few blinking lights on its circumference. If it had been visible, the scorch marks and pitted marks spoke of battle damage. This ship had seen conflict. This was our destination.

Upon exiting the TARDIS, we found ourselves in a metallic corridor. Dull red light cast murky shadows while a dull rhythmic noise echoed from the ship's core. Just standing there, the atmosphere was oppressive, there was an evil aboard this vessel. The design was functional, angular and angry, no shred of elegance or individuality.
"Does this place feel familiar to you, Doctor? Any idea who the pilots are?"
"All too well, I'm afraid. We shouldn't even be here. This craft can't be here. Not them, it's always them!"
"Who, Doctor?"
"It's not safe here. Back in the TARDIS. Now!"
"Doctor, what's going on?"
"This ship, I've seen its kind before. All too often. This is a Dalek command ship, somehow they've survived. This is impossible!"
The Doctor was becoming angry, and afraid. Here was a man who sacrificed everything, his people, his morals, his soul, yet his enemy still lingered.
"We have to leave now. The Daleks are more dangerous than you can imagine. Whatever they want with your mind, we can't let you fall into their clutches."
"But, Doctor.."
"No excuses! TARDIS, now! I'm not losing another friend to those monstrosities."
"Doctor, I was trying to say it's too late."

While the Doctor was lost in his rant, I became aware of a motorised hum approaching. Sure enough, moments later, a bronze metallic machine turned the corner onto our corridor. It stood slightly shorter than myself, it's bottom half was decorated with hemispherical bumps, while its single eyestalk focused on me, pupil glowing with a blue light. It's midsection consisted of a cylindrical grille, with two weapons pointing forwards; one appeared to be like a sink plunger, while the other resembled a whisk, though it's seen enough in my travels to know it was likely some sort of projectile weapon. In another situation, I might have found the design laughable, but this creature was dangerous. Like a caged animal at a zoo, it had a natural air of danger. It's firepower was obvious, and it oozed hate, so strongly that I could almost taste it. This Dalek hated anything different, I felt like it even hated itself, it's own existence abhorrent to itself. This was an abomination, a purely destructive force.
"ALERT. ALERT. INTRUDERS DETECTED IN SECTOR GAMMA. SOURCE OF TEMPORAL ENERGY CONFIRMED TO BE A TARDIS. THE DOCTOR HAS BEEN APPREHENDED."

The creature fixed it's gaze upon us and addressed us directly.
"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLEE OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED. THE HUMAN IS REQUIRED. YOU ARE NOW PRISONERS OF THE DALEKS, YOU WILL MOVE AHEAD OF ME, AND FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS".

"Doesn't, seem like we have much choice then. Lay on, MacDalek, and damned be he who first cries, hold enough!"

"SILENCE, DOCTOR. MOVE. MOVE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment